- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
Step 1: Get Prepared
Begin by finely slicing the garlic. Measure out your red chilli flakes, sweet paprika, tomato paste, lemon juice, and parsley. Having everything pre-measured makes the cooking process smoother.
Step 2: Cook Garlic and Chilli
Pour the olive oil into a medium-sized pan and heat it over medium heat. Watch for the oil to shimmer slightly. Add the sliced garlic and red chilli flakes to the oil. Stir frequently and cook gently until the garlic softens and becomes golden, avoiding burning.
Step 3: Add Paprika and Tomato Paste
Sprinkle the sweet paprika into the pan quickly to prevent burning, then add the tomato paste. Stir well to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomato paste darkens slightly.
Step 4: Loosen With Water
Add a small amount of water (about 2-3 tablespoons) and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should start to thicken to a spreadable consistency. Adjust with more water if needed.
- The amount of water you add comes down to personal preference. 2-3 tablespoons will give you quite a thick sauce.
Step 5: Add Acid and Freshness
Once the sauce has thickened, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and the chopped parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Make it Smooth If you’d prefer a silky smooth sauce then blitz this up in a blender before passing through a fine-meshed sieve
- Tweak the Herbs Parsley is a good allrounder when it comes to herbs but you could replace this with coriander or oregano
- Up the Heat If you prefer things on the hotter side, include a finely diced fresh red chilli with the garlic.
- In the Fridge Pop the sauce into an airtight container and then seal once cooled before storing it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- In the Freezer Pil Pil sauce can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months when stored in an airtight freezer-safe container with room for expansion. Fully thaw overnight in the fridge before using.